How to help with AndroidAPS¶
AndroidAPS operates entirely on volunteer efforts and has no paid staff.
Developers are parents, caregivers, loved ones and people with diabetes working together to development and improve a solution to a very common want. Developers donate their spare time for free, but it’s a bit unfair to expect them to face additional costs to make something so amazing open source and free for all.
To fully test a new rig developers need to have a spare phone and a spare pump as it cannot be used on a human until it is stable. Newer models need testing as they become available. Some of the money donated is needed also for the logistical costs of shipping these supplies across countries to the developers. Sometimes it’s also nice to contribute towards the developers costs to leave their darkened rooms and meet each other at conferences and events to let their creative and analytical brains bounce off each other.
I can write code! How do I participate?
Yay! Look at the issues, ask in the gitter channel, there is always a lot to do! Pick a small task at first and do your first pull request! :)
I know the system and can write documentation!
Great, this is a highly appreciated thing and a good way to pay it foreward!
- The old gitter channel regarding the wiki can be found here: AndroidAPSwiki/Lobby. Instead, you can now also contact the documentation team via the new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A guide how to do commits on English wiki can be found here: How to make a PR. Other languages are only translated from english and can’t be edited for consistency reasons.
I do speak multiple languages and whant to translate the app or the documentation
- If you want to translate the app to other languages (thank you), please use crowdin.
- If you want to translate the wiki to other languages (thank you), please use crowdin.
Just sign up to CROWDIN, click your language, wait for admin authorization and go ahead!
I’ve got cash I’d like to donate, how do I do that?
What is the money used for?
The money is NOT paid to anyone for their work! It is used to keep the costs for the developers low when organizing meetings. We try to be very transparent. Here’s an example from 2018:
- European Dev Meetup in Prague end of May 2018:
- hiring a room plus internet
- food / coffee
- in the unlikely case the above will be fully covered and some money remains: travel expenses for those who have to travel a longer distance. (Some devs from other continents will attend but are in Europe already at that time, so travel costs will be kept low.)
I’ve got spare equipment, where do I send it?
We are currently collecting “will be provided later” to begin distributing them for testing. At the end of the process, any leftover equipment will be donated to one of the Pay-it-Forward facebook groups that exist to support the T1 community. If you want to donate spare equipment, e-mail email@example.com and we’ll send you an address.
I don’t have cash or equipment, how can I help?
Skills needed include graphic design, UX design, translators, wiki editors or simply paying it forward by answering the simple questions in gitter & Facebook to allow developers the time and space to focus on the harder stuff.