Freestyle Libre 1¶
To use your Libre as a CGM that is getting new BG values every 5 minutes you first need to buy a NFC to Bluetooth adapter like:
- MiaoMiao Reader (version 1 or 2) https://www.miaomiao.cool/
- Blucon Nightrider https://www.ambrosiasys.com/our-products/blucon/
- Bubble https://bubbleshop.eu/
Additionally it is possible to use a specific watch, the Sony Smartwatch 3 which has an NFC chip which can be enabled and can be used as a NFC collector. However the custom NFC to Bluetooth adapters listed above offer a less complex solution and would be used by the majority of those wanting to use their Libre 1 as a CGM.
- Sony Smartwatch 3 (SWR50) https://github.com/pimpimmi/LibreAlarm/wiki/
As it currently stands, if using Libre 1 as BG source you cannot activate ‘Enable SMB always’ and ‘Enable SMB after carbs’ within the SMB algorithm. The BG values of Libre 1 are not smooth enough to use it safely. See Smoothing blood glucose data for more details.
If using xDrip+¶
- If not already set up then download xDrip+ and follow instructions on LimiTTEer or Libre Alarm.
- In xDrip+ go to Settings > Interapp Compatibility > Broadcast Data Locally and select ON.
- In xDrip+ go to Settings > Interapp Compatibility > Accept Treatments and select OFF.
- If you want to be able to use AndroidAPS to calibrate then in xDrip+ go to Settings > Interapp Compatibility > Accept Calibrations and select ON. You may also want to review the options in Settings > Less Common Settings > Advanced Calibration Settings.
- Select xDrip+ in ConfigBuilder (setting in AndroidAPS).
- For settings in xDrip+ with screenshots see xDrip+ settings page. There is a part for basic xDrip+ settings and for Freestyle Libre xDrip+ settings.
- If AAPS does not receive BG values when phone is in airplane mode, use ‘Identify receiver’ as describe on xDrip+ settings page.